In Illinois, retail theft is a serious offense. Depending on the value of the merchandise involved in the crime and the criminal history of the person charged, retail theft could be charged as either a Misdemeanor or a Felony offense. If you, or someone you know, has been charged with the offense of retail theft in McHenry County, it is time to contact Franks and Rechenberg, P.C. to defend you against this charge.
What is Retail Theft?
Retail theft is the formal name for the crime of shoplifting. In Illinois, retail theft comprises more than just leaving a store with goods in your possession that you have not paid for.
- Retail theft can take place anywhere that merchandise is being offered for sale, displayed, or stored.
- Retail theft can include changing, switching, or removing price tags from goods.
Retail Theft Penalties
The severity of both the charge and the penalty in retail theft cases depends on two factors: the value of the items and the criminal record of the defendant.
- For first time offenders and merchandise worth $300 or less, the crime is considered a Class “A” Misdemeanor, punishable by a sentence of up to one year in the County Jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.00.
- For previous offenders and merchandise worth less than $300 the crime could be a Class 4 Felony, which carries a sentence of 1 to 3 years in jail and/or a fine of up to $25,000.
- For all offenders in situations where the value of the goods is more than $300, the charge is a Class 3 felony. As such, the sentence can be up to five years in the Illinois Department of Corrections as well as a fine of up to $25,000.
The defendant may also be required to pay restitution to the establishment as part of their sentence. When facing penalties of this potential severity, it is essential that you seek guidance from a local criminal defense attorney, instead of throwing yourself on the mercy of the court. Our extensive experience sets us apart from the rest, so if you have been charged with any form of theft, call Franks & Rechenberg, P.C. at 847-854-7700 to schedule an appointment to discuss defending you against the charge of retail theft.
The Attorneys at Franks and Rechenberg, P.C. are among the best lawyers practicing Retail Theft and Shoplifting Defense in McHenry and DeKalb Counties, including the cities of Algonquin, Barrington Hills, Belvidere, Bull Valley, Cary, Crystal Lake, DeKalb, Fox River Grove, Harvard, Hebron, Holiday Hills, Huntley, Island Lake, Johnsburg, Lake in the Hills, Lakemoor, Lakewood, Marengo, McCullom Lake, McHenry, Oakwood Hills, Port Barrington, Prairie Grove, Richmond, Spring Grove, Sycamore, Union, Wonder Lake, Woodstock, and all surrounding communities.